Biochemistry is such a versatile field that it has been in ever increasing state of excitement for decades with its seemingly never ending stream of almost incredible discoveries in the past three decades. Consequently, it has revolutionized the field of modern medicine, molecular biology and genetics. Now it is considered to be a diversified field because there is no hard line between these disciplines as there once was. At UHS, biochemistry department was established in September 2004, offering M.Phil and M.Phil. leading to PhD programs with the aim to create an integral link between basic medical sciences and clinical sciences.
Specializations: Area of teaching, training and research:
Research Projects Completed
In last five years following research projects had been completed in Biochemistry department;
Current/on going Research Projects
- Association of hyper homocysteinemia with coronary artery disease independent of traditional risk factors
- Comparison of CEA and CA 19-9 with CA 72-4 in patients with gastrointestinal carcinomas in localpopulation.
- Correlation of serum ferritin and serum transferring receptor/Ferritin ratio with oxidized low density lipoproteins in ischemic heart disease.
- Serum levels of HER-2/neu and estrogen in women with carcinoma of the breast and their correlation with body mass index.
- Correlation of serum adiponectin and serum lipoprotein (a) in coronary artery disease.
- Correlation of serum leptin and P-selectin in coronary artery disease.
- Serum Zinc and copper concentrations in patients with carcinoma of prostate.
- Correlation of serum zinc levels with aqueous humor and zinc levels in patients with senile cataract.
- Correlation of plasma Selenium and osteopontin concentrations in patients with carcinoma of prostate.
- Glutathione and G6PD in Oxidative stress in metabolic syndrome.
- Role of Glutamic acid, Iron, and Homocysteine in neonates with hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy.
- Molecular analysis of GALT gene in patients with Galactosemia.
- Molecular Genetic Studies in Families with Autosomal Recessive Primary Microcephaly (MCPH) From Punjab.
- Association of Levels of Serum Selenium with Anemia in Primary School Children.
- Blood lead level and its correlation with biochemical parameters in city traffic police of Lahore.
- Detection of TNF-A Gene Polymorphism (-308 G/A) in acne vulgaris patients.
- Assessment of DNA Damage Due To Lead Exposure in Traffic Wardens of Lahore.
- Evaluation of Trace Element Deficiency in Male Infertile Patients from Cholistan.
- Linkage analysis of oculocutaneous albinism (OCA) in Pakistani families.
- Association of Single Nucleotide Polymorphism of Interleukin-6 Receptor (IL-6R) gene with Rheumatoid Arthritis in patients from Pakistan.
- 21. Estimation of Serum Trace Elements (Zn+2, Cu+2 and Fe+2) In Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- 22. Steroidogenic Factor-1 (NR5A1) in 46-XY Individuals with Disorders of Sex Developments (DSDs).
Following research projects are going on;
- CYP1B1 Mutations in Local Patients with Primary Congenital Glaucoma.
- 2. Comparison of serum calprotectin in type 2 diabetic and non-diabetic males with and without obesity and its correlation with HOMA_IR and HOMA-฿.
- 3. Betatrophin levels in type 2 diabetic and non-diabetic males with and without obesity and its correlation with HOMA-IR, HOMA-฿ and Triglycerides.