Histopathology laboratory is located in the south wing of UHS at the ground floor. This laboratory is well equipped with the facility to cater for training and research leading to higher qualifications such as Ph.D; M.Phil, M.Sc MLT & training for M.Sc Nursing. The department of pathology being an integral part of University sets out to be a centre of excellence in teaching, learning and research in pathological sciences.
Pathology is the branch of medical sciences which deals with the nature of disease, its causes and its detection. Although modern medicine has made great strides in understanding the causes of disease, we still have a considerable distance to go. The goal of research in the department of pathology is to extend our knowledge of the mechanisms of disease, especially at the molecular level. Such detailed information will hopefully lead to improved diagnosis, treatment, and eventually, prevention. Our mission is to produce Ph.Ds of international standard in collaboration with foreign universities. MOU with university of Texas has already been signed for exchange of graduate students and faculty members.
- Facilities to carry out research leading to Master, M.Phil or Ph.D.
- Training of medical graduates for specialization in histopathology to become teachers, diagnosticians and researchers.
- Reporting on all kinds of biopsies used in research projects.
- Opinion on prepared slides/blocks
- Tumor markers/receptors (Immunoperoxidase studies)
- Frozen sections for research work
- FNAC reporting- mostly for research / diagnosis.
- Fluid/smear cytology for research purpose / diagnosis.
- Immunofluorescence studies for research purpose only
Equipments Available in the Laboratory
||Name of Equipment
||Embedding Centre with Embedded Hot Plate
||Cold Plate for Embedding Centre
||Binocular Student Microscopes
||Gross Station with automatic Dictation System
||Ten Headed Microscope Camera Software CD= 01,
||Dry Thermal Block RT-60
||Dry Thermal Block RT-60-110
||Distilled water Plant
||Auto Slide Stainer
||Double Headed Microscope with camera
Postgraduate programme at UHS in the department of Pathology is research training programme leading to Ph.D Candidates who are medical/ dental graduate and possess Postgraduate/ higher diploma are eligible for admission in Ph.D programme. The department also runs M.Phil leading to Ph.D programmme for bright fresh graduates/ graduates with teaching/ practical experience.
Disciplines of Histotechnology, Cytotechnology and Oral Biology
M.Phil in Histotechnology, Cytotechnology and oral biology has been started in the department of Morbid Anatomy & Histopathology in year 2013. Presently we have 03 students in these disciplines.
In addition to a meaningful interaction with other departments of basic and clinical sciences within UHS and its affiliated colleges and institutions, the department coordinates and collaborates in training and research with other national biomedical institutions like the Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Oncology Lahore (INMOL), National Institute of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering (NIBGE), Pakistan
Society for the Rehabilitation of the Disabled (PSRD), Postgraduate Medical Institute (PGMI) and hospitals like Jinnah Hospital, Children Hospital, Mayo Hospital, Services Institute of Medical Sciences (SIMS), Fatima Memorial Hospital, Fatima Jinnah Medical College, Gulab Devi Hospital, Lahore and international institutes like Nottingham University and Military Hospital, Riyadh, KSA. Linkages are being developed with foreign institutions both for collaborative research and for short term training of personnel in specialized techniques and procedures.
The members of our faculty pursue an active involvement in the student recruitment, curricular development, teaching and research. It consists of a dedicated team of individuals with varying interests, duties and responsibilities. Teaching based on formal lectures, tutorials, problem based learning, discussions, interactive sessions, seminars, Workshops, journal club meetings and laboratory training.
- To improve the number of PhD scholars in the department.
- To upgrade the department by procuring some very high tech instruments for an advance research in Morbid Anatomy & Histopathology.
Projects Completed M.Phil/PhD Session 2005
Dr. Waseem Haider
Role of DNA Analysis in Sexually Assault Victims. (Awarded Degree)
Dr. Nadia Naseem
Immunohistochemical Expression of Histidine Decarboxylase and Cytokeratin 19 and its correlation with Histological Grading in Primary Lung Carcinomas. (Awarded Degree)
Projects Completed M.Phil Session 2006
Dr. Sadia Anwar
Expression of HER 2/neu and its correlation with the histological grading of colorectal carcinoma. (Awarded Degree)
Dr. Uzma Nabi
Study of Ki-67 labeling index with grading and staging of colorectal carcinoma. (Awarded Degree)
Dr. Mahwish Hussain
Correlation of Estrogen Receptor expression with the Ki-67 proliferative index in carcinoma of the breast. (Awarded Degree)
Dr. Fakeha Rehman
Immunohistochemical expression and correlation of Mammaglobin with Scarf-Bloom Richardson grading system of breast carcinoma. (Awarded Degree)
Dr. Seema Butt
Expression of Bcl-2 oncoprotein in uterine leiomyomata as an apoptosis inhibitor. (Awarded Degree)
Projects Completed M.Phil Session 2007
Dr. Sobia Sadiq
Diagnostic role of CD117 in small cell carcinoma of lung. (Awarded Degree)
Dr. Saira Sajid
A Morphological Study of Muscular Dystrophies and the Role of Dystrophin in their Diagnosis. (Awarded Degree)
Dr. Maham Akhlaq
Morphological Study of Placenta in Pre-eclampsia and Eclampsia. (Awarded Degree)
Projects Completed M.Phil Year 2008
Dr. Muneeza Khalid
Morphological study of Round Blue Cell Tumors of Childhood and their classification.
Dr. Nausheen Henna
Morphology of Hirschsprung’s Disease in suction and full thickness rectal biopsies. (Awarded Degree)
Projects Completed M.Phil Year 2009
Dr. Munazza Chaudhary
Morphology of Hepatitis C Virus Associated Nephropathy and Expression of Anti HCV-NS3. (Awarded Degree)
Dr. Atika Masood
Morphology of IgA & Henoch-SchÖnlein Nephropathies-the role of immunofluorescence & iNOS. (Awarded Degree)
Dr. Usman Shams
Expression of p63 and S-100A6 in the Differentiation of Keratinocytic Tumours of Skin.
Dr. Sumera Qazi
Morphology of Benign Proliferative Breast Lesions in the Mestectomy Specimens.
Dr. Fatima Rashid
Morphological Study of Renal Lesions in Systemic Lupus Erythematosis.
Project in Hand M.Phil Session 2009
Dr. Syeda Farheen Fatima
A Study of Alterations in Mucin Expression and Cellular Changes as Prognostic Indicators
in Colorectal Carcinoma.
Projects Completed M.Phil Year 2010 (Histopathology)
Dr. Ehsan Ullah
Correlation of Mast Cell and Microvascular Density in Carcinoma of Lung.
Dr. Raees Abbas
Smoking Related Interstitial Fibrosis and Interstitial Lung Disease: An Autopsy Study.
Projects in Hand M.Phil Session 2010
Dr. Sakina Jamil
Mercury Kushta induced morphological changes in liver and kidney of rats.
Dr. Saadia Raza
Morphological changes in liver and kidney of rodents induced by indigenous preparation of gold.
Projects Completed M.Phil Year 2010 (Oral Pathology)
Dr. Sadaf Waris
Morphological Study of Oral Mucosal Changes in Habitual Paan Chewers.
Dr. Samina Zaheer
A Morphological Study of MASPIN Expression in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
Dr. Ali Tahir
Correlation of Mast Cells and Microvascular Density in Oral-Facial Neoplasm.
Projects in Hand M.Phil Session 2011 (Histopathology)
Dr. Farwa Batool
Clininopathological Pattern and Classification of Breast Carcinoma based on ER/PR and HER2/ neu Immunohistochemistry.
Dr. Nasim Aslam
Effects of Cadmium Salt on Kidney Tissue of White Rats.
Projects Completed M.Phil Year 2011 (Oral Pathology)
Dr. Ayesha Zulifqar
Tumours Associated Macrophages in Orofacial Squamous Cell Carcinoma and Basal Cell Carcinoma.
Projects in Hand M.Phil Session 2011 (Oral Pathology):
Dr. Gul Muhammad
Corticosteroids Induced Osteo Necrosis of Jaws – An Experimental Study in Rabbits.
Dr. Khurshid Ali
Clinicopathological Analysis of Radiolucent Lesions of the Jaws.
Projects in Hand M.Phil Session 2012 (Histopathology):
Dr. Hira Kareem
Effects of Copper Preparations on Kidneys of Albino Rats
Dr. Nushmia Baig
Expression of TAMS and M2 Macrophages in Different Histological Grades of Breast Carcinoma
Dr. M. Zain Mehdi
Expression of minichromosome maintenance 2 and Ki-67 as proliferation markers in Renal cell carcinoma.
Dr. Irfan Basheer
Expression of Isocitrate Dehydrogenase I and internexin alpha in gliomas.
Dr. Samina Iqbal
Prognostic value of CEA, CA 19-9 and calretenin in the cytological diagnosis of pleural and peritoneal effusions.
Dr. Hafsa Riasat
Morphological correlation of Helicobacter pylori associated diseases H. Pylori antigens.
Projects in Hand M.Phil Session 2012 (Oral Pathology):
Dr. Rabia Anjum
Pathological Changes in Soft Tissues Associated with Impacted Third Molars
Dr. Mohyman Sarfraz
Oral Cytopathological Changes in Habitual Wet Snuff Dippers
Dr. Sania Arshad
Expression of CD105 Angiogenesis and the Pattern on Inflammatory Exudate in Oral Squamous and Basal Cell Carcinoma
Dr. Sunnaeyah Waris
Gingival Changes in Tuberculous Patients
Dr. Varda Jalil
Determination of Cytotoxic T Cells & NK Cells in Papillary Carcinoma and Follicular Adenoma of Thyroid
Dr. Rabia Safdar
Expression of Matrix Metalloproteinase in BCC & SCC.
Dr. Saima Qadir
Oral Mucosal Changes in the Patients of HIV/AIDS with or without ART
Dr. Abdul Khaliq
Morphological Changes Induced in Oral Mucosa of Rabbits by Dental Curing Light Emitting Diode (LED).
Dr. M. Kashif
Expression of Prostanoid EP-3 Receptors in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma and Adjacent Normal Tissue.
Dr. M. Arslan Tayyab
Morphological Changes Induced by Inorganic Arsenic in the Jaw Bones Buccal Mucosa and Tongue of Rodents
Dr. Wali Dad
Oral Cytopathological Changes in Type II Diabetic Patients
Dr. Rabiya Saif
Role of Ki67 as a Proliferative Index in Odontogenic Jaw Cysts.
Dr. Sadia Minhas
Cytopathological-Effects of Concomitant Chemo radiotherapy on Normal Oral Mucosa & Peritumoral Area.
Projects in Hand M.Phil Session 2013 (Histopathology):
Dr. Sobia Khalid
Expression of NGAL in Class I-V Lupus Nephritis Using Immunohistochemical and Immunofluorescent Techniques
Dr. Sadaf Shafique
Effects of Arsenic Preparations on Kidney and Testes of Wister Rats
Dr. Qurat Ul Ain
Expression of Ki-67 & P53 as a Prognostic Marker in Wilms’ Tumour.
Dr. Hadia Rafique
Detection of DNA Mismatch Repair Antibodies AMS2 MSH6 MSH2 MLH1 in Carcinoma of Breast
Projects in Hand M.Phil Session 2013 (Oral Pathology):
Dr. Uzma Khan
Micronucleus Frequencies in Peripheral Blood Lymphocytes and Buccal Epithelial Cells of Patients with Head and Neck Cancer and their First Degree Relations
Dr. Beenish Aleem
Morphological Changes in Ankylosing Temporomandibular Joint
Dr. Malik Adeel Anwar
Oral Cytopathological Changes in Patients with Systemic Lupus Erthematosus
Dr. Basil Khalid
Effects of Coconut Oil, Coconut Milk, Coconut Oil Mixed with Honey on Healing of Oral Ulcers in Rabbits
Projects in Hand M.Phil Session 2013 Histotechnology and Cytotechnology
Mr. Usman Ali
DNA Mismatch Repair Antibodies (MSH2, MSH6, PMS2 and MLH1) in Colonic Adenocarcinoma.
Immunocytochemical Markers (Ber-Ep4, MOC 31, Calretinin and HBME 1) in the differential diagnosis of reactive mesothelial cells and adenocarcinoma cells in effusion cytology.
Ph.D Projects Completed:
Dr. Nadeem Afzal
Role of Genetics and Immune Mechanism in the Pathogenesis of diabetic Retinopathy.
Dr. Samina Khokhar
Prediction of Efficacy of Chemotherapy in Breast Cancer: Development of Efficacy Index
In Hand Ph.D Projects:
1. Dr. Abdul Mannan Babar
Surgical adjuvant intralesional cytokines versus steroids for hypertrophicscars and keloids.
2. Dr. Azhar Qayyum
KRAS Oncogenic Mutation Pattern in Pakistani Patients Presenting with Colorectal Carcinoma in a Northern Tertiary Referral Centre (Approved for Funding by HEC).
3. Dr. Nadia Naseem
Immunohistochemical and Genetic Characterization of Muscular Dystrophies in Local Patients.
Funds issued to the Research Projects:
|Dr. Abdul Mannan Babar
||Higher Education Commission
|Dr. Azhar Qayyum
||Higher Education Commission
- Nadia Naseem, Nadeem Reyaz, Saeed Akhter Khan, Naseer Ahmed Chaudhry. Medulloblastoma. Life threatening cancer of infancy and childhood. Pak J Med Sci. 2007; 23(2); 275-277.
- Audit of hepatitis B & C viruses in patients attending dental clinics. M. Sultan; M.S Bhatti; F. Nisa; A.H Nagi. Biomedica 2(1), 2008. 50-53.
- Peritoneal Loose Body – Pelvis: (A Case Report). Shazia Nilofar Ibnerasa, Mamoona Hafeez, Abdul Hanan Nagi. Pakistan Journal of Pathology, Vol.19, No 1, 2008, 33-34.
- Nagi A.H. Pathology of the throw away after birth – placenta. Inaugural lecture. 32nd Annual Conference of Pakistan Association of Pathologists, 24th – 26th October, 2008.
- A.H.Nagi, L.A.Al Menawy, Samiullah, I.A.Naveed, W.Sami. A comparison of histological appearances of Hodgkin’s disease in Pakistani & Saudi patients. J. Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 2008; 20 (3).
- Mahvish.H, Nagi A.H, Fakeha.R, Samina Kh. Correlation of Oestrogen Receptor Status and Ki-67 Proliferative Index in Carcinoma of Breast. Pak J Path 2008; 19 (2):48-52.
- Uzma.Nabi, Nagi A.H, Waqas Sami. Ki-67 proliferative index and histological grade, type and stage of colorectal carcinoma. J Ayub Med Coll Abbotabad 2008; 20 (4).44-48
- Nadia Naseem, Sobia Sadiq, A.H Nagi, M Ashraf.. A pattern of lung carcinoma as seen in a tertiary care hospital. Biomedica 2008 (24):118-123.
- Chaudhry MA, Haider W, Nagi AH, Ud-Din Z, Parveen Z. Pattern of Police Torture in Punjab. American Journal of Forensics Medicine and Pathology. Dec 2008 Vol 29(4): 309:311
- Haider W, Nagi A.H. Role of DNA in evaluation of rape cases in Punjab. Presented at Biennial International Surgical Conference; Surgicon 2008. 13th – 16th Nov, 2008; Pearl Continental Hotel, Lahore. Silver Jubilee Congress of the Society of Surgeons Pakistan, Lahore.
11. Mahvish H, Nagi A H, Fakeha R. Significance of Grade in Relation to Oestrogen Receptor Status And Ki-67 Proliferative Index In Cancer Breast. Biomedica. July – Dec 2009 (25) 116-119.
- Gull-e-Atif, A.H Nagi, Salma Naz. Immunohistochemical Localization of Keratin in 100 cases of Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Pakistan Journal of Pathology. 2009; 20 (3). 81-84
- Ghazala Moeen, Nadia Naseem, Shabnam Tariq. Topical Estrogen treatment in paediatric labial adhesions. Pak J Med Health Sci 2009; 3:218-23.
- Nadia Naseem; A.H. Nagi; Nadeem Reyaz; M. Ashraf; Waqas Sami. Immunohistochemical Expression of CYFRA 21-1 in Non Small Cell Lung Carcinomas- An Experience from a Tertiary Care Hospital in Lahore. Int. J. Path 2010; 8 (2):54-59
- A.H. Nagi; Lubna Al Minawy; Nadia Naseem; Nausheen Henna; Samiullah; I. A. Naveed. A study of the Morphological Patterns of Extranodal Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma in Pakistani and Saudi Populations. Biomedica 2010; 26:118-23.
- Nadia Naseem, A.H. Nagi, Sobia S. Naseem, Waqas Sami. Comparative Immunohistochemical Expression of Chromogranin A and Histidine Decarboxylase in Pulmonary Neuroendocrine Carcinomas. Tur Thor Jour 2010; 11:71-6.
- Nadia Naseem, Sadia Anwar; A.H. Nagi; Muhammad Saqib; Waqas Sami; Clinicopathological pattern and HER 2/neu status in patients presenting with different histological grades of colorectal carcinomas. Basic and Applied Pathology. 2010; 3: 21-26
- Nadia Naseem, Sadia Anwar, AH Nagi, Tariq Mahmood Tahir. Gastric Schwannoma in a Female Patient with Pulmonary Tuberculosis- A Clinico-pathological Assessment and Diagnosis. Malaysian J Med Sci. 2010; 17: 45-50.
- Soban Sadiq; A.H.Nagi; M. Shahzad And Azam Zia The Reno- Protective Effect of Carum Carvi (Black Zeera) Seeds in Streptozotocin Induced Diabetic Nephropathy in Rodents. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transplant 2010;21(6);1058-1065
- Fakeha Rehman, A.H. Nagi, Mahwish Hussain. Immunohistochemical Expression and Correlation of Mammaglobin with the Grading System of Breast Carcinoma. Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology 53(4) 2010:25-29.
- Uzma N, Nagi A H, Sabiha R. Morphological Evaluation of Colorectal Carcinoma with Grading, Staging and Histological Types. J Pak Med Ass. Vol 60. No 12. Dec 2010: 998-1001
- Saira Sajid, Abdul Hannan Nagi, Tanveer Ahmad, Maham Akhlaq.Dystrophin Immunohistochemistry in Muscular Dystrophies on Formalin Fixed Paraffin Embedded Tissue. Pakistan J. Zool., vol. 42(3), pp. 241-245, 2010
- Seema Butt,Nadia Naseem, A.H. Nagi, Waqas Sami. Expression of Bcl-2 Oncoprotein as an Apoptosis Inhibitor in Uterine Leiomyomata. Pak J Med Sci 2010; 4: 381-6.
- Nadia Naseem, A.H. Nagi, Nadeem Reyaz, M. Ashraf, Waqas Sami. Immunohistochemical Expression of Cytokeratin 19 in Non Small Cell Lung Carcinomas- An Experience from a Tertiary Care Hospital in Lahore. International Journal of Pathology; 2010; 8(2): 54-59.
- S.S.Naseem, A.H Nagi, M.Ashraf, S. Bilal, M. Akhlaq, N. Henna, W.Sami. A Pattern of Lymphadenopathies as seen in a tertiary care hospital, Lahore, Pakistan. Turk J Med Sci 2011; 41(2): 353-358.
- Nadia Naseem, Amjad Naeem, A.H. Nagi, Sadia Anwer. Clinicopathological pattern, classification, p53 status, and staging of urinary bladder carcinomas – Six-year experience at a tertiary care hospital in Central punjab. European Journal of Cancer Supplements 2011; 9 (1): Page 16.
- Nausheen Henna, M.Afzal Sheikh, Mahmood Shaukat and A.H Nagi. Children with Clinical Presentation of Hirschprung’s Disease – A Clinicopathological Experience. Biomedica. 2011; 27;1-5
- Nagi A.H. Monograph: Examination of Placenta. Biomedica, Vol 27, 2011; P.81-9.
- Uzma Nabi, Nadia Naseem, Sabiha Riaz, Imrana Tanvir. Clinicopathological Pattern in 150 Females Presenting with Benign and Malignant Ovarian Tumors. JPMA 2011; 7 42-46.
- Saira Sajid, A.H Nagi, Afzal Hussain and Saqib mehmood. Muscular Dystrophies and Role of Dystrophin in their Diagnosis. Biomedica Vol.27, Jan. – Jun. 2011/ P. 33 – 38
- Henna N, Nagi A.H, Sheikh M, Shaukat M.. Morphological Patterns in Children with Ganglion Related Enteric Neuronal Abnormalities. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2011 Jul-Sep; 23(3):14-7.
- A. A. Albajali, A. H. Nagi, M. Shahzad, M. Ikram Ullah and S. Hussain. Effects of Allium Sativa L. on Pancreatic ?. Cells In Comparison To Nigella Sativa L. In Streptozotocin Induced Diabetic Rats. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research Vol. 5(24), pp. 5779-5784, 30 October, 2011
- Nadia Naseem; Fakeha Rehman, A.H. Nagi; Waqas Sami. Role of Cytokeratin 19 and Mammaglobin as Immunohistochemistry as Prognostic Markers in Breast carcinomas. (Submitted to The Breast Journal in February 2011).
- Nadia Naseem; Fakeha Rehman, A.H. Nagi; Waqas Sami. Neuroendocrine differentiation in Breast carcinomas. (Submitted to Basic and Applied Pathology in July 2011).
- Ehsan Ullah, Raees Abbas Lail, Nadeem Reyaz, Farooq Aziz, A H Nagi, M. Ashraf. Diagnostic Proceudre and their relation to histological types of lung cancer – a report from Gulab Devi Chest Hospital Lahore. (submitted to Journal of College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan on Nov, 2011)
- Seema Butt; Nadia Naseem; A.H. Nagi; Sadia Anwar. Spectrum of Skeletal diseases seen in patients presenting at a tertiary care Hospital in Lahore, Pakistan. (Submitted to Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology in December 2011).
- Imrana Tanveer, Nadia Naseem, Uzma Nabi, Sabeeha Riaz. Immunohistochemical Expression of Gross Cystic Disease Fluid Protein in Primary and Metastatic Breast Carcinomas. (Submitted to Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences, November, 2011).
- Uzma Nabi, Nadia Naseem, Sabiha Riaz. Congenital Haemangiopericytoma of the Chest Wall. International Journal of Pathology; 2011; 9(2): 74-76.
- Ehsan Ullah, Nadeem Reyaz, Farooq Aziz, A. H Nagi and M. Ashraf. Demographic and Clinicopathological Parameters in Lung Cancer in a Chest Hospital, Lahore – Pakistan. Biomedica Vol. 28: Jan-Jun. 2012. P: 14-17
- Ehsan Ullah, Abdul H Nagi, Raees A Lail. Angiogenesis and Mast Cell Density in Invasive Pulmonary Adenocarcinoma. Journal of Cancer Research and Therapeutics Vol. 8: 2012. 4: 537-541.
- Ehsan Ullah, Raees Abbas Lail, A H Nagi, M. Ashraf. Angiogenesis and Mast Cell Density as Predictor of Survival and Outcome in Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Lung. (Journal of Cancer Research and Therapeutics 2012 (Submitted) (Impact Factor: 0.83)
- Nadeem Afzal, Nagi AH, Muhammad Imran, Abu Zafar, Amtul Musawar, Romeeza Tahir, Sarwar Abbas, Afia Abbas, Shakeela Zaman and Shah Jahan. Association of Alpha -2 Beta-1 Integrin Polymorphism with Retinopathy in Diabetic Patients. J Diabetes Metab 2012. 3:9
- Maham Akhlaq, A.H.Nagi, A. Waseem Yousaf.Placental Morphology in Pre Eclampsia and Eclampsia and the Likely Role of NK Cells. International Journal of Pathology & Microbiology. 2012, 55(1), 17-21.
- Usman Ali, Nagi A H, Nadia Naseem and Ehsan Ullah. Ali et al. Mucin Histochemistry in Tumours of Colon, Ovaries and Lung.., J Cytol Histol 2012, 3:7
- Raees Abbas Lail, Ehsan Ullah and M. Ijaz Alam. Reports of Gastrointestinal Cancers at Bahawal Victoria Hospital, Bahawalpur – Pakistan. Biomedical Vol 28. 2012: 23-27.
- Oommen S, Francois M, Kawasaki M, Murrell M, Kawasaki K, Porntaveetus T, Ghafoor S, Young NJ, Okamatsu Y, McGrath J, Koopman P, Sharpe PT, Ohazama A. Cytoplasmic Plaque Formation in Hemidesmosome Development Is Dependent on SoxF Transcription Factor Function. PLoS One. 2012; 7(9):e43857. Epub 2012 Sep 4.
- Kawasaki K, Porntaveetus T, Oommen S, Ghafoor S, Kawasaki M, Otsuka-Tanaka Y, Blackburn J, Kessler JA, Sharpe PT, Ohazama A. Bmp signalling in filiform tongue papillae development. Arch Oral Biol. 2012 Jun; 57(6):805-13. Epub 2011 Dec 18.
- Nadeem Afzal, A H Nagi, Khursheed Javed, Abu Zafar, A ffia Abbas, Shakeela Zaman and Shah Jahan. CD4+ CD25+ Treg Cells in type IIDiabetic Retinopathy. (Submitted for publication in Journal of Clinical Laboratory).
- Nadeem Afzal, A H Nagi, Khursheed Javed, Abu Zafar, Affia Abbas, Shakeela Zaman and Shah Jahan. Serum Level of IL – 6 in type II Diabetes Retinopathy. (Submitted for Publication in Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice).
National and International Research Presentations:
- Nausheen Henna, A.H Nagi, M.Afzal Sheikh. Morphology of Clinically Presenting Hirschprung’s Disease- A study of 113 cases. 33rd annual conference of Pakistan Association of Pathologists held in Islamabad. 6th – 8th November, 2009.
- Nausheen Henna, M. Afzal Sheikh, Mehmood Shaukat, A.H Nagi. Morphology of patients with ganglion related enteric neuronal abnormalities in colorectal biopsies (A preliminary study). Held on 4-5th December 2009 at Annual Symposium of Children hospital & Institute of Child Health, Lahore.
- Seema Butt, A.H Nagi. Expression of Bcl-2 Oncoprotein in Uterine Leiomyomata as an Apoptosis Inhibitor. 33rd annual conference of Pakistan Association of Pathologists held in Islamabad 6th – 8th November, 2009
- Nadia Naseem, AH Nagi, Muhammad Ashraf, Nadeem Reyaz, Waqas Sami. Comparative Immunohistochemistry of Histidine Decarboxylase and Chromogranin A in Neuroendocrine Lung Carcinomas of Smoking and Non Smoking Population. Oral Research paper presentation was made at the 34th Annual Conference of Pakistan Association of Pathologists (PAP) held at King Edward Medical University Lahore from November 04-08, 2010.
- Nadia Naseem, Fakeha Rehman, Sadia Anwar, AH Nagi, Waqas Sami. Role of Immunohistochemistry in Final Diagnosis and Treatment Outcome of Breast Carcinomas in Young Pakistani Females. Abstract accepted for presentation at the Association of International Cancer Research (AICR) 30th Anniversary Conference (07- 09 April, 2010) at Scotland, United Kingdom.
- Dr. Nadia Naseem. Expression of Neuroendocrine Markers in Non Small Cell Lung Carcinoma – An Immunohistochemical Study. Abstract accepted for Poster Presentation at the 20th Annual Congress of European Respiratory Society held at Barcelona Spain on September 2010.
- Dr. Nausheen Henna, Prof. A.H. Nagi, Prof. M. Afzal Sheikh and Prof. M. Shaukat. Significance of the presence of hypertrophic nerve fibers as an additional diagnostic feature in enteric neuronal abnormalities. Oral Research paper presentation at the 34th Annual Conference of Pakistan Association of Pathologists (PAP) held at King Edward Medical University Lahore from November 04th -08th, 2010.
- Muhammad Usman Shams, Sabrina Suhail Pal, Abdul Hannan Nagi: Epidermal changes in cutaneous verrucas – An analysis of 34 cases. Presented as oral paper in the 34th National Conference of PAP Pakistan Association of Pathologists, 5-7 November 2010, KEMU, Lahore.
- Muhammad Usman Shams, Abdul Hannan Nagi, Raees Abbas Lail, Ehsan Ullah Xeroderma Pigmentosum - A disfiguring disease: A patient with five simultaneous tumours on face. Presented as poster paper at XXXI Symposium of ISDP International Society of Dermatopathology, Spain 2010, 9th Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Symposium (Lahore 2010).
- Dr. Ehsan Ullah.Profile of female genital tract tumours at Bahawalpur-Pakistan Poster. Presentation at 34th National Conference of Pakistan Association of Pathologists, 5-7 November 2010, KEMU Lahore.
- Dr. Ehsan Ullah.Profile of female genital tract tumours at Bahawalpur-Pakistan. Poster presentation at 9th Annual Shaukat Khanum Cancer Symposium, 26-28 November 2010, PC Lahore.
- Dr. Raees Abbas. Report of gastrointestinal cancers at Bahawal Victoria Hospital Bahawalpur-Pakistan. Poster Presentation at 34th National Conference of Pakistan Association of Pathologists, 5-7 November 2010, KEMU Lahore.
- Dr. Raees Abbas. Report of gastrointestinal cancers at Bahawal Victoria Hospital, Bahawalpur-Pakistan. Poster presentation at 9th Annual Shaukat Khanum Cancer Symposium 26-28, November 2010, PC Lahore.
- Nadia Naseem, Fakeha Rehman, AH Nagi, Lubna Ejaz, Muhammad Saqib. Ailing Roots - Spectrum of Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecological Disorders in a Developing Country. Poster Presentation of the following research paper at The 3rd Breast –Gynecological International Cancer Conference (BGICC) held by European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO) at Cairo, Egypt from 13-14 January 2011.
- Nadia Naseem, A.H. Nagi, Nadeem Reyaz, M. Ashraf and Waqas Sami. Expression of neuroendocrine markers in non-small-cell lung carcinomas – An immunohistochemical study. E-Poster Presentation at The Asian Oncology Summit 2011– Building Capacity for Today and Tomorrow held by the Lancet Oncology at Hong Kong from April 08-10, 2011
- Dr. Ehsan Ullah was invited to conduct workshop on “Data Analysis Using SPSS” by International Congress on Medicine and Law held on 15th -18th October, 2011 in Istanbul.
- Dr. Ehsan Ullah. Presentation on “Correlation of Angiogenesis and Mast Cell Density in Pulmonary Adenocarcinoma” in International Congress on Medicine and Law held on 15th -18th October, 2011 in Istanbul.
- Dr. Raees Abbas. Presentation on “Profile of Female Genital Tract Tumours in Bahawalpur” in International Congress on Medicine and Law held on 15th -18th October, 2011 in Istanbul.
- Nadia Naseem, Samina Khokhar, A.H. Nagi, Fakeha Rehman, Sadia Anwar Clinicopathological Pattern and Neuroendocrine Differentiation in Breast Carcinomas- An Immunohistochemical Study. Poster Presentation of the following research paper at the European Cancer Organization Annual Conference held at Vienna, Austria from March 21-24, 2012. This poster has been awarded the 3rd prize in the PhD student’s category.
- Nadia Naseem; Fakeha Rehman, A.H. Nagi; Waqas Sami. Role of Cytokeratin 19 and Mammaglobin Immunohistochemistry in Breast carcinomas in young Pakistani females. Oral Presentation of the following research paper at the European Cancer Organization Annual Conference held at Vienna, Austria from March 21-24, 2012.
- Sarah Ghafoor. Primary cilia and control of mammalian dental formula. 2nd IADR Pakistan Section Scientific Meeting, Lahore, Pakistan, Nov. 2012 (Oral presentation,).
- Sarah Ghafoor. Developmental Biology meets Regenerative Dentistry. 3rd International Symposium on Biomaterials and Recent advances and challenges, COMSATS, Lahore, Pakistan, Dec 2012 (Oral presentation).
- Sarah Ghafoor. The role of primary cilia in tongue development. 91st IADR, AADR, CADR General Session, Seattle Washington, USA, 20th-23rd March 2013. (Poster presentation).
Departmental Participation in Conferences /Workshops/Seminars
1. 33rd Annual Conference of Pakistan Association of Pathologists, PIMS Islamabad, 2009.
2. Renal Pathology Workshop by Shifa International Islamabad in collaboration with Pakistan Association of Pathologists, 2009.
3. Workshop on Paediatric Histopathology as part of 7th Annual Symposium, Children Hospital and Institute of Child Health Lahore, 2010.
4. 9th Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Symposium in accreditation with American Academy of Continuing Medical Education (AACME), 2010.
5. 34th Annual Conference of Pakistan Association of Pathologists, held at King Edward Medical University /AIMC Lahore 4-8 November, 2010.
6. Workshop on ‘Breast Pathology’ held at Shaukat Khanum Cancer Hospital & Research Center (Lahore) on 23rd November, 2010.
7. Workshop on ‘Cytopathology’ held at King Edward Medical University, Lahore in 34th National Conference of PAP (Pakistan Association of Pathologists) on 4th November, 2010.
8. Workshop on ‘Immunology’ held at University of Health Sciences, Lahore in 34th National Conference of PAP (Pakistan Association of Pathologists) on 8th November, 2010.
9. 11th Shaukat Khanum Symposium “Costs of Cure” November 9-11, 2012, Lahore, Pakistan.
10. 3rd Annual Conference of Histopathology & Cytology Society of Pakistan. Held on 13th October, 2012 at Awari Hotel Lahore.
11. Clinico – Pathological Conference at University of Health Sciences, Lahore, held on every Friday. 2013
12. Workshop on “Academic Leadership and Education Issues & Challenges in Pakistan”. Held on 11th April, 2013 at Al-Nafees Medical College & Hospital, Isra University Islamabad Campus.
13. Seminar on "MEASLES": on Tuesday April 23rd 2013, at UHS Shams Auditorium.
14. Seminar on "Palliative care in Cancer": Professor Dr. Shaharyar of Cancer Care Hospital & Research Centre on Wednesday April 24th 2013 at UHS, Lahore.
Nomination of Student in Nobel Laureates Meeting
Dr. Ehsan Ullah was selected as young scientist in medicine in 61st meeting of Nobel Laureates held from 26th June – 1st July, 2011 in Germany and talked on “Ethics in Scientific Research"
Award for the 3rd Best Poster Presentation at European Cancer Conference
Dr. Nadia Naseem was awarded as the 3rd best poster presenter in the category of “PhD Students” at European Cancer Organization Annual Conference, held at Vienna, Austria from 21-24 March, 2012.